| Stanley Turkel
| May 6 | Hotel
The site on which The Grand Hotel sits today in Point Clear, Alabama has seen two earlier hotels so named. The area surrounding the hotel and grounds has had a long and exciting history.
It begins in 1847, when a Mr. Chamberlain built a rambling, 100-foot long, two-story hotel with lumber brought down from Mobile by sailboats. There were forty guest rooms and a shaded front gallery with outside stairs at each end. The dining room was located in an adjacent structure, and a third two-story building, called The Texas, housed the bar. Destroyed in an 1893 hurricane, the bar was rebuilt and, according to one contemporary report, "It was the gathering place for the merchants of the South, and poker games with high stakes, and billiards enlivened with the best of liquors were their...