A Franchisee's Glee-Fee-Me-Free-See-We Stages
For those who may not be familiar with Greg Nathan and/or his “6-Stages of Franchise Relationships”. Greg comes to us from ‘Down Under’ and I believe he’s been spotted here in Bluemaumau land a time or two. He’s a corporate psychologist and internationally recognized expert on the franchise relationship.
Greg explains that nearly every successful franchisee moves through six distinct stages during their relationship with their franchisor, and those stages are:
- THE GLEE STAGE: I’m happy to be a franchisee of this franchisor.
- THE FEE STAGE: Although I’m making a living the franchisor is taking all the profit in royalties.
- THE ME STAGE: I’m successful, because of “me and my hard work”, not because of the franchisor.
- THE FREE STAGE: I don’t like all these restrictions ‘SET ME FREE”.
- THE SEE STAGE: Okay, I guess I get it and my franchisor does bring something to the party.
- THE WE STAGE: This is the stage were the franchisee fully understands the dynamics of the ‘interdependent’ relationship, and the SYNERGY of FRANCHISING begins to take place!
Both Franchisees and Franchisors will be well served by understanding these 6 Stages of the relationship as explained by Greg. Each stage is natural, and for the most part inevitable. They are going to happen, just like everyone is a little nervous on the first kiss, getting their drivers license, or speaking before a crowd. They are just part of the process.
If and when both Franchisee and Franchisor understands that most franchisees will go through these stages, it makes it a lot easier to deal with the unique attitudes involved at each stage.
Believe & Succeed,FranSynergySynergizing Franchising 1 Franchise at a Time!www.fransynergyinc.com